- Vincent Flood
- Data Analyst II - Census
- Phone: (401) 222-1243
Census and ACS Data
The U.S. Census generates two main sources of demographic data, the Decennial Census and the American Community Survey (ACS). The Decennial Census questionnaire asks basic questions of every resident of the United States every ten years, while the ACS questionnaire asks more detailed questions to a small sample of residents on a rolling annual basis.
Resources for using ACS and Census products:
- United States Census Bureau
- Using American Community Survey Data: Local-level Data Considerations for Rhode Island . A guide to using ACS data in cities and towns. Because the ACS is a survey and the resulting datasets are estimates, it is important to consider margins of error, especially when comparing two estimates.
- ACS Statistical Significance Calculator . A spreadsheet that determines whether two estimates are statistically significant and calculates margins of error for multiple estimates, ratios, or proportions.
Rhode Island Statewide Planning staff can connect you to the Census and ACS data that you need. Please contact Vincent Flood with your questions.
Population Counts and Estimates (current and historic)
- State, City and Town Population and Population Change, 1990-2010 - PDF
- New England State Population and Population Change, 1990-2010 - PDF
- RI Historic Population, 1790-2010 (table and graph) - PDF
- City and Town Historic Population, 1790-2010 - PDF
- New England State Historic Population, 1810-2010 - PDF
Age and Sex
- RI Population and Population Change by Age and Sex, 2000-2010 - PDF
- City and Town Population by Age and Sex, 2010
Race & Ethnicity
- RI Population and Population Change by Race and Hispanic or Latino Ethnicity, 2000-2010 - PDF
- Race Reporting for the American Indian and Alaska Native Population by Selected Tribes, 2010
- Race Reporting for the Asian Population by Selected Cateories, 2010
- Race Reporting for the Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander Population by Selected Categories, 2010
- Hispanic or Latino by Type, 2010
- City and Town Population by Race and Hispanic or Latino Ethnicity
- Racial and Ethnic Minority Population by City and Town, 2010 - PDF
- Comparison of 2007-2009 and 2010-2012 RI Housing Characteristics - PDF
- RI Households and Household Change, 2000-2010 - PDF
- RI Housing Characteristics, 2013* - PDF
- City and Town Household and Housing Characteristics, 2010
- RI Group Quarters Population by Sex, Age, and Type of Group Quarters, 2010