- Kim A. Gelfuso
- Information Services Tech II
- Phone: (401) 222-5764
- Hard copies of all publications are available upon request
Comprehensive Planning Materials
The Division of Statewide Planning is committed to assisting municipalities in crafting comprehensive plans that are effective at guiding local decision making and are an embodiment of the State’s goals and policies. The Division has created the below materials to facilitate the comprehensive planning process. If you have any questions about the materials, or would like to request a specific resource become available, please contact Kevin Nelson
Looking for other materials? Try the Planning Resource Library
Introduction to the Comprehensive Planning Standards and Guidance Handbook Series
Comprehensive Planning Guidance Handbook Series
The Comprehensive Planning Guidance Handbook Series is an accompaniment to the Rhode Island Comprehensive Planning Standards Manual, which sets forth guidance for State approval of comprehensive plans.
- Guidance Handbook No. 1 – The Comprehensive Plan 101
describes what a comprehensive plan is, why it is important and what it consists of.
- Guidance Handbook No. 2 – Planning for Natural Resources
- Guidance Handbook No. 3 – Planning for Recreation
- Guidance Handbook No. 4 – Planning for Historic and Cultural Resources
- Guidance Handbook No. 5 – Planning for Housing
- Guidance Handbook No. 6 – Planning for Economic Development
- Guidance Handbook No. 7 – Planning for Agriculture
- Guidance Handbook No. 8 – Planning for Services and Facilities
- Guidance Handbook No. 9 – Planning for Energy
- Guidance Handbook No. 10 – Planning for Water Supply
- Guidance Handbook No. 11 – Planning for Transportation
- Guidance Handbook No. 12 – Planning for Natural Hazards and Climate Change
- Guidance Handbook No. 13 – Planning for Land Use
- Guidance Handbook No. 14 – The Implementation Program
- Guidance Handbook No. 15 – Mapping for Comprehensive Plans - GIS layer files
provides information relative to the comprehensive plan’s required maps.
- Guidance Handbook No. 16 – The Comprehensive Planning Process
discusses the process of crafting a comprehensive plan, including who should be involved and what steps to undertake.
The Division has compiled data fact sheets for all municipalities with the most recent available data for 2016.
Mapping for Comprehensive Plans
The Division has created GIS layer files to assist municipalities in complying with the Comprehensive Planning Standards related to mapping. To download the files, view directions on using the files and for necessary query text, go to the GIS Layers page for all instructions.